I think I had as much fun with this as he did. The end result actually turned out pretty awesome... but it was the process that was the most entertaining as we experimented and explored. That's how the best activities are right?
If your kids are ones that would make a baking soda volcano every day, then this activity is for you. It was so fun to have a different twist on an activity we seriously probably do every day.
- hard-boiled eggs
- food coloring
- baking soda
- paint brushes
- some cups
- big lipped plate or bowl
- a cup of water
DIRECTIONS FOR VOLCANO EGG DYEING:
1. Create baking soda paint using a tbsp (or so) of baking soda, couple tsps of water, and some food coloring. Mix it up and experiment until you have the consistency you want.
2. Grab a paint brush and start painting your eggs.
3. Drop some food coloring splashes onto your eggs using a dropper.
4. Pour vinegar on top of the egg and watch the "volcanic eruption" all around your egg (picture the bubbling of a baking soda volcano, but more colorful. Every time is different based on your colorful combinations).
5. Repeat steps 2, 3, and 4 again and again until you get bored and are ready to move on to another egg.
6. Pat off the excess vinegar off lightly or just let them air dry.
So once you've dyed some eggs, what do you do with them?
Here are some ideas we either already do, or have discovered recently:
- peel them and eat them (my daughter's favorite thing to do)
- decorate around your house with them
- hide them and host an egg hunt
- have an egg toss
- Egg wars
- egg relays
- Zwanzgerle (Swiss egg coin game)
- "Egg" another house (in a nice way... put cute notes on their house and hide eggs all around their front lawn for the kids to go find)
- Egg rolling contest via Nurturestore
What are your favorite ways to dye eggs at your house?
Do your kids like volcanoes? If so, make sure to check out these awesome gifts for dinosaur lovers. You may want to grab one to put in your child's Easter basket this year!
Here are a few other Toddler Approved volcano posts you might like:
Volcano tissue art
3-D Volcano craft
Escape the Volcano Shape Game
Felt Volcano and Dinosaur Bean Bag Game