What do you do when you have three little active boys and a sleeping baby?
Break out the scissors for some snippin!
I made these little ghosties for my front lawn last night... and the boys were so excited about them that we decided to do a little ghost project while my daughter was napping this morning.
Materials Needed: strips of white paper, scissors, glue sticks, googly eyes, black paper, and a white crayon.
1. First the boys each drew their ghosts with a white crayon (one was adamant that I draw his ghost... so I obliged).
2. Next they started snippin their white strips of paper. I love the faces they make while they snip. They are so quiet and so focused.
3. Then they glued their paper onto their ghosts. I didn't tell them what to do... so they each kinda decided what they wanted to do on their own.
Each ghost was different. My little guy (middle one) even tried writing his name.
4. Lastly, they added googly eyes and then we let the ghosts dry.
My goal for this project was to focus on the process of cutting. Focuing on the process is usually a goal... but sometimes I get caught up worrying about the product. I chatted with my son's preschool teacher about this last week and we discussed how the process is for the kids and the product is for the adults and how sometimes we like to have both :).
Instead of worrying about making theirs look any specific way, I let them explore and create and then during naptime later in the day I made my own product. We were all satisfied and my need to create was satisfied!
My friend Kathren created her own little ghosty with her 2 year-old this morning, so if you want a scissor-free version, check out her post here.
As we did this activity we loved...
- talking about the shapes that we cut
- talking about our white lines and the shapes we made
- using scissors to make quick controlled snips
- talking about where we were putting our white paper pieces (direction words)
- using a little bit of glue to stick each paper onto the paper
- talking about ghosts and other favorite Halloween characters