After stumbling upon this awesome art lesson blog (Deep Space Sparkle) and the cool rocket collages, we had to try out our own rockets. We made two different ones... this was the simpler version, so I thought I would share it. The other version involved some painting and a cool window in the rocket with our favorite family members inside... so I'll try and share it another day. You can never do too many rocket projects, right?
Materials Needed: a few shapes (these were the basic ones we started with) cut out of cardstock, a piece of cardstock for the background (black or navy), scissors, glue, aluminum foil, stickers, jewels, buttons (other random items to add), tissue paper, and markers.
1. Create the basic rocket shape. Add the nose cone and body tube of the rocket and glue to the background paper.
2. Glue on the engine (yellow piece of paper in our pictures).
3. Cut strips of tissue paper (great fine motor scissors skills activity) and glue them to the bottom of the rocket as the exhaust.
4. Add other details to the rocket- buttons, foil, stickers, etc.
Use markers to draw in any details you'd like. I actually liked the cleaner look (without the marker lines), but kids always seem to like to add extra details, so I'll keep the markers as an option for the little ones I am working with tomorrow.
5. Add extra pieces of cardstock (with glue) to serve as the fins at the bottom of the rocket.
6. Count down... 10, 9, 8, ... and get ready to blast off!
We loved singing our favorite rocket song (Zoom Zoom Zoom) as we worked on our projects today. You can find several other space themed songs here.
Also, have you seen this whoopie pie solar system yet? Mmm.
We were tempted to make it for our rocket to fly around on... while we did some snacking :) Definitely still need to try it!
I'll post pictures of the rocket creations that our little class does tomorrow... I think this project should be simple enough for the 3 yr olds, so we should have some fun variations. Their pictures always look so much better than anything I can come up with.
Also, if you haven't checked out our giveaway yet, go here. We are really excited to be having this giveaway in honor of Better Hearing & Speech Month!